Do you like gadgets? Do you often use your free time to do things around your house that have to do with electronics? Do you like to try out the latest gadgets? If any of your answers are “yes,” then opening an online electronics store must be a good idea for you if you want to start an ecommerce business.
People are buying more and more electronics online these days. Even though ecommerce has been a big part of people’s lives for a long time, most people still went to physical stores to buy electronics in the past. How come? They didn’t trust online payments because they didn’t want to spend a lot of money online. They also wanted to try the products before buying them and compare them to others that were similar.
There are two main reasons why people have changed the way they buy things. On the one hand, the change started happening 1-3 years ago when people realized they could trust online stores, especially when they started to offer more payment and delivery options. Having good refund policies was also good for both the store and the customer. On the other hand, because of the world’s health situation, people started buying electronics online. People bought more online because they couldn’t leave the house, but only in certain situations.
When you open an electronics store, you need to make sure that people can tell right away that you can be trusted and that you sell good products. Electronics aren’t the kind of things that people buy on the spot. Most customers go to different online stores to compare one item to another. They also like to read blog posts and watch videos about how the products work and what’s important to know about them. Give your customers the best service you can, and stand out.
We made the guide below for people who want to open an electronics store. We want to make sure you don’t miss any important steps as you plan and build your online business.
What do you need to start an online store for electronics?
What steps must you take first? What do you need to get a jump on things? What do you need to know before you can start planning and building your electronics store? Well, you should know that you have to be patient. You need time to learn about online stores, do research, and get to know how everything works in the real world. In the beginning, you will have to work hard to get orders. Also, you need to know that you can’t open any kind of store without investing money, and that the whole process is complicated.
- Patience and sticking with it
- Work, love, and creativity
- Strategy skills
- At least the basics of how things work
- Marketing skills (e.g.: written and visual content creation, SEO, paid advertisements)
- Sales skills
- Skills with money Connections
- Customer service that goes above and beyond
- Time management
- Electronics and gadgets are becoming more popular.
- Having knowledge of electronics
What Should I Give My Customers?
If you want your customers to be happy with your service and you want to open an online electronics store, these are some of the most important things you need to tell them.
- Products of high quality
- Fast service
- Excellent customer service
- Blog posts about reviews of products
- Review videos of products
- Nice, details product descriptions
- Good photos of the product
- There are more ways to pay and ship.
- Good policy on refunds
What Does “Electronics Store” Mean?
There is no one way to describe what an electronics store is. Here, we try to help you understand what an electronics store is and what kinds of things you can sell. Make sure you know everything there is to know about the products you want to sell in your online electronics store. That way, if a customer asks for help, you will be able to answer their technical questions correctly. If you want to start a business about a certain subject, you need to be really interested in it.
How can you make money?
You can sell so many different kinds of things in your electronics store. In fact, the most common thing we see is that if an online shop sells these kinds of things, they also sell things like pet supplies, home decor, garden supplies, etc. So, if you want to be different, you could sell only electronics, but make sure you sell high-quality items from reliable local suppliers and items that aren’t available in your local market. If you can find reliable services, you might want to work with local manufacturers or start-ups.
Here are some examples of what you could sell in your online electronics store:
- Home Electronics Smart Electronics
- Outdoor, Garden Electronics
- Mobile Phones, Mobile Phone Parts & Accessories
- Equipment for the office
- Sports Electronics
- Beauty Technology
- Electronics as a hobby
- Products for Vehicles
- Batteries & Chargers
- Headphones and earbuds
- Home Audio & Video
- Pictures and Cameras
- Players for media
- Plug & Adaptors
- Cables and connectors, parts, peripherals, accessories, and parts for computers.
- Computer Storages and Drives
- Laptops, Laptop Parts, Accessories
- Tablet \sNetworking
List of Things to Do to Succeed
This is a guide for people who have never run an online electronics store before. But if you’ve been in business for a while and you’re still not sure if you’re doing everything right and you want to learn more about how you can improve your business, the tips below can help you too.
Look into the market for electronics
Before you do anything else, the first thing you should do is research your market. What do you need to do? Check out other stores and brands of electronics. You need to know how they run their businesses, what they sell, what other brands they work with, and what their average price margin is. You also need to figure out what plans they have. Why do you need to know all this? So you can compete with them, so you can offer a different service than them, and so you can be better for your target audience. Find a way to stand out from the rest of the market.
Choose what you want to sell.
There are a lot of different kinds of online stores that sell electronics. Electronics brands and manufacturers have their own stores, and there are many big, well-known stores that sell electronics. Because of this, it can be hard for a new business that sells electronics to be successful. If you still want to open an electronics store, you need to think about who you want to sell to and what you think is missing on the market for your target customers. You can choose whether to sell expensive or cheap items. Make sure that there is a chance that people will buy your products. What do you want to sell?
- Take a look around. Watch out for everything. Ideas can pop into your head at any time. When riding the train, walking down the street, doing errands, or talking with a group of people. You should pay close attention to everything around you. What people use, how they use it, and what kinds of problems they face every day.
- Check what you’re interested in. Do you have any hobbies or interests that have to do with electronics? Do you think of yourself as a nerd? Then, look at what kinds of products could be sold in that area and see if there is a chance that people would buy them.
- Take a look at social media. Here is where you can find out the most quickly what’s popular right now. Well, electronics aren’t as often shown on social media as, say, clothes, but you can get some great ideas by using hashtags.
- Look into the market. You have to do it often, not just at the beginning, so that your business can always grow. Ask yourself the most important questions to check the market, and also ask hundreds of other people the same questions to get a complete picture.
- What does your local market not have? Think about the last few years that have passed since now. Have you ever wanted to buy something from your area but couldn’t? So, maybe you should try selling this.
- Check out the stores you want to beat. You can’t call those stores your competitors until you do something just as important on the market as what those stores do. Samsung, for example, won’t be your competitor unless you are a big company that is known all over the world. Check out your local market and stores to see if they sell almost the same things you were thinking about. They will be in the same field as you. Check out what they have and give your audience something else!
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. But don’t take another person’s idea. If you already have some ideas, now is the time to ask more friends and family members for help. When you run a business, you should always pay attention to what your customers say and what they want. This is how to get better. So why wouldn’t you do it before you even started the business? Everyone’s opinion is important, but you should be careful about the choices you make in the end.
- Check out the markets. You can get ideas while looking through these products. You can also already find supplier partners for the things you want to sell here.
Where Should You Buy Your Electronics?
There are three main places where a store that sells electronics can get them
- Make them: If you are an engineer or have friends who are starting a business selling electronics, or if you know any local manufacturers who sell these items, you can think about reselling their selection to your customers, which can be a win-win for all of you.
- Straight from suppliers and makers: You can choose to work with any supplier whose goods you like. One of the things they have to do is give you a product data feed file so you can put their products in your online electronics store. Ask these suppliers, manufacturers, factories, and distributors what you need to do to start working with them.
- Marketplaces: You need to look at online marketplaces and directories like dropship-empire Marketplace, where you can not only find products and suppliers, but also add the chosen products to your online electronics store and let the service automatically update the product data every day.
Keeping products in stock or dropshipping?
You need to decide if you want to use a dropshipping service to run a retail business or if you want to buy stock in advance. Both ways of doing business have their good points. If you have physical stock, you’re the only one who can decide how long it takes to ship, and you can put the items in any kind of packaging you want. You can also put small gifts and a greeting card in there.
But with dropshipping, you don’t have to spend money on physical stock ahead of time, and you don’t have to worry about not being able to sell all of the products you bought ahead of time. Also, you can get started with your new online business with less money. So that your electronics store can offer fast shipping, you need to work with local suppliers instead of companies from other countries.
Make your name known
Now you’ve finally reached the step you’ve been waiting for. You probably have a list of ideas that you’ve been writing down over the past few months. But you have to understand what a brand is before you can make one. If you are new to business, you won’t have any experience, but reading helpful articles online is a great way to learn. What makes up a brand? Name, logo, symbol, design, colors, unique identity, a message. All of these make it easy to market your electronics store. Set yourself apart from other stores that sell electronics on the market. Check out your competitors, define your target audience, and learn more about them.
Make a business plan and get the necessary licenses.
In your business plan, describe your goals and plans. There are a lot of examples of plans on the internet. We just want to point out some important parts of what it has to have. You need to write down your one-time and recurring costs and set a profit goal (it will be the difference between your total expenses and total income). If you know these things, you won’t spend more than you need to.
After you’ve done research on the market and the industry, decide what you want to achieve. Also, you need to decide what you’ll sell, who your target market is, and what strategies you’ll use. You can also try to do a SWOT analysis to find out what your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats are. This will help you grow.
You also need to get the permits you need. Check where you live to see if you need to meet any special requirements to open an online store. If you’re confused, you can always ask an expert for help, like an accountant or a lawyer. Check to see if you need any licenses or other paperwork for your business. Don’t forget to explain how your business is set up legally, who will run it, and how you will handle the logistics.
Pick an online store platform to work on
You can build a new online store in more ways than before. If you know a lot about IT or know someone who does, you can build your own store from the ground up. But ecommerce platforms can help you do your job better. They are the most important part of millions of online stores around the world. They make it possible for retailers and suppliers to run their online sales businesses. Each ecommerce platform has its own set of features, and you need to choose the one that fits your needs the best.
The platforms can help you with things like payment gateways, security, structuring, design, and even apps, just to name a few.
Which platforms do we think are good? Shopify, BigCommerce, Jumpseller, Ecwid by Lightspeed, Squarespace, Wix, and WooCommerce.
Start putting together your online shop.
Your online electronics store needs to be easy to use and have all the information that customers need. People do judge a book by its cover, so make sure your website and the images you use on your social media pages look really nice and professional. For the look of your electronics store, you can choose from themes that give your website the structure and design you want. One of the best places to find themes is Themeforest/Envato Market. You can also check out the Shopify Theme Store if you use Shopify. Also, make sure the options for sorting products are easy to use.
Choose the Services You Need
You have to choose the services you want to work with. These are applications, or pieces of software, that you need to choose so that your job is easier.
- Service for uploading and updating products
- Delivery services
- if needed Warehouse
- Payment provider, payment gateway
- Help with customer service, chat service
- Software for newsletters
- Software for cart abandonment
Promote & Sell
We’re at the last step now. You’re almost at your first big goal, which is to make your first sale. First, you have to let people know about your electronics store. This is how they will find you. Marketing is key for beginners. What can you do?
- Be active on Facebook and Instagram and often post good photos and even short videos.
- Start using SEO on your blog and in your online store for electronics. It gets people to visit for free.
- Run paid ads on social media and make Google Ads.
- Use remarketing.
- Write great content that is easy to read and full of useful information.
- Use great pictures all over.
- Manage email marketing, newsletters.
- Add a blog to your online store for electronics.
- Make videos of the items.
- Encourage marketing by word of mouth.
- Start a customer loyalty program.
You don’t have to use all of these ways to market yourself. Choose the ones that work best for what you’re doing.
You’re now ready to make your first sale. Give your customers and visitors the best service you can. Please keep in mind that you can’t stop learning. If you want your business to grow and change, you have to keep learning.
How much does it cost to open an online electronics store?
You probably already know that you can’t open any kind of online store without putting up some money at first. When you use the dropshippig service to run an online store, you do not need to keep physical stock. However, you do have to pay other fees. These are both one-time costs and costs that keep coming up. When you start an online business, it will cost you between $1,500 and $3,300 on average, depending on what you want to spend money on and what you need to buy.
What kinds of fees might you have to pay? Again, these will depend on what services you are using. Most of the bullet points below probably won’t apply to you, and it’s possible that there are fees you’ll have to pay that aren’t on the list. But if you are new to ecommerce, these examples might still help you. Make sure you always have some extra money in case something comes up.
- The costs of hosting, domain design, theme, and marketing (agents, designers, content writers, social media managers)
- The subscription fee for an e-commerce platform
- Website maintenance all the time
- Other subscription fees for apps, plugins, software, and, if needed, the supplier
- Legal and government costs
- Costs for a CPA and a lawyer
- Warehouse \sShipping
One Last Thing
Starting an online electronics store isn’t easy, but as you can see, if you learn a lot before you open, you have a great chance of being able to make sales. Because there are so many online stores, you need to make sure yours is different. Even though it’s hard for people who sell electronics, don’t be one of a million. Make your business stand out by having a unique message and working with real, reliable suppliers who can deliver high-quality goods quickly. Automate the uploading and updating of your products, make your online electronics store easy to use, and make sure your business is stable.
What sorts of things should you sell in your electronics store? Things that are useful, wanted, easy to get, of good quality, and don’t cost too much. Make sure there aren’t too many of these items on the market already and that the people you want to sell to really need what you have to offer.